The minutes from the General assembly in Visby, March 27–28 2015, have been published.
GENERAL ASSEMBLY IN VISBY, MARCH 27–28, 2015
Friday March 27th
12.00–13.00 Lunch at the Centre
- Opening of the GA and presentation
- Approval of the Agenda
- Election of the chairperson and secretary of the Ga
- Activity report, by Janina Orlov, the Chair of BWC
- Name change?
- BCWT news by Lena Pasternak, director of BCWT
Saturday March 28th
- Treasurer’s report by Mudite Treimane the Treasurer of BWC
- Auditor’s report
- Reports from member-organizations
- Reports continue.
- Membership fee.
- Election of the new Chairperson and some other Board members plus auditors. Please try to think candidates for Chairperson beforehand, so that we have one or two to put forward at the meeting.
- Other issues.
- Date of the next GA.
- Closing the GA.
Finnish literary translators have taken a new initiative to address their steadily worsening economic situation and their unfair position vis-a-vis publishers in the current crisis affecting all players in the print media. They have established a new organisation, a translators’ chapter within the Union of Journalists in Finland. The new subdivision’s primary task is to advance translators’ professional and economic interests. The Union of Journalists has thus widened the scope of its media professions further and welcomed literary translators into its ranks.
The chairman of the new chapter is Mr Jyrki Lappi-Seppälä, an accomplished translator from Spanish and Portuguese.
The Finnish name of the new chapter is Kääntäjien ammattiosasto, KAOS, in abbreviation. It functions under the auspices of the freelance journalists division of the Union.
Read the final program on the Baltic Meeting 2014 page.
Read the Agenda on the GA 2014 page.
The Baltic Meeting “The Double Core of Europe” will be held March 25-27, 2014 in Visby, Gotland.
Venue: The Almedalen Library
The Baltic Writer’s Council site has migrated to a new publishing system.
Dear member organizations of BWC. The Baltic Meeting, originally planned to be held in Vilnius/Minsk this autumn, has been postponed, and will be organized in 2014.
More information is coming. Best regards, the Board.